Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am british my girlfriend is slovakian when we get married

I am british my girlfriend is slovakian when we get married how would she get a british passport? we live in london and we have a child who is british.

How long has your girlfriend been in the UK?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We have been in the UK for a year now.

Thanks for your reply.

In order to be eligible for British citizenship and therefore a British Passport first obtain Permanent Residence. She can apply for permanent residence once she has been in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years by being either employed, self-employed, studying or self-sufficient.

During this period she cannot be absent from the UK for more than 6 months in any one year. Once she has obtained the requisite time here she can apply for PR by form EEA3.

Once she has been grated PR she can then apply for naturalistion as a British citizen and then a UK passport.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully recieved and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Doesn't being married have any bearing?

It would have a bearing if she were a visa national (as opposed to an EEA national) because you would need to be married for three years before apply for leave to remain and then naturalisation. As she already has a right to remain here under her EEA status this is not applicable I'm afraid.

I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom