How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Paul Richmond Your Own Question
Paul Richmond
Paul Richmond, Barrister
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 138
Experience:  LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Paul Richmond is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have met a thai lady whilst on holiday in thailand in march

Customer Question

i have met a thai lady whilst on holiday in thailand in march 2010,we have been in contact on a daily basis vie the internet (windows messenger)and also by mobile phone.
I want her to come to the uk on a fiance visa,is this possible.
i am 68 and the good lady is 52 i would appreciate your views on this subject .
my email [email protected] .com
yours sincerely
w chilton
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Paul Richmond replied 6 years ago.

In order for the thai lady to come to the UK in the fiance category, you must be currently living in the UK and settled here or returning to the UK with her to live here permanently.

In addition, both you and your fiance must be at least 21 years old. Additionally, you must both show that:

  • you plan to marry within a reasonable time (usually six months);
  • you plan to live together permanently after you are married;
  • you have met each other;
  • until you are married, there is somewhere for you and any dependants to live without help from public funds; and
  • you and any dependants can be supported without working or needing help from public funds.

Your thai lady must obtain permission to enter the UK before travelling here. This permission is known as 'entry clearance', and takes the form of a visa or an entry clearance certificate. To obtain it, she should apply to the British diplomatic post in the country where she lives. For more information, see the visa services website.


If the UKBA allow her to come to the UK in the category of fiance, she will normally be given permission to stay here for six months. She must not work during this time. After you have married, she can apply to stay here as the wife of a settled person. If UKBA approve this application, they will give her permission to live and work here for two years. Near the end of the two years, if you are still married and intend to live together, she can apply to settle here permanently.


Please also note that from autumn 2010, your thai lady will need to show that she can speak and understand English if she wants to enter or remain in the UK as the fiance or wife of a British citizen or a person settled here.


I hope this answers your question. Please kindly click ACCEPT so that I may be rewarded for my time. Thank-you.

Paul Richmond, Barrister
Satisfied Customers: 138
Experience: LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
Paul Richmond and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

many thanks paul for the informatiom things seem very clear to me now and what action i need to take once again many thanks

yours sincerely

w chilton

Expert:  Paul Richmond replied 6 years ago.
I am pleased to have been of assistance. I hope everything works out for the two of you. Please consider leaving some positive feedback if you have not done so already. Thank-you.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.