Paul Richmond
Paul Richmond, Barrister
Experience:  LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)

i have met a thai lady whilst on holiday in thailand in march

Customer Question

i have met a thai lady whilst on holiday in thailand in march 2010,we have been in contact on a daily basis vie the internet (windows messenger)and also by mobile phone.
I want her to come to the uk on a fiance visa,is this possible.
i am 68 and the good lady is 52 i would appreciate your views on this subject .
my email wchiltonxse@hotmail .com
yours sincerely
w chilton
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Paul Richmond replied 4 years ago.

In order for the thai lady to come to the UK in the fiance category, you must be currently living in the UK and settled here or returning to the UK with her to live here permanently.

In addition, both you and your fiance must be at least 21 years old. Additionally, you must both show that:

• you plan to marry within a reasonable time (usually six months);
  • you plan to live together permanently after you are married;
  • you have met each other;
  • until you are married, there is somewhere for you and any dependants to live without help from public funds; and
  • you and any dependants can be supported without working or needing help from public funds.

Your thai lady must obtain permission to enter the UK before travelling here. This permission is known as 'entry clearance', and takes the form of a visa or an entry clearance certificate. To obtain it, she should apply to the British diplomatic post in the country where she lives. For more information, see the visa services website.

If the UKBA allow her to come to the UK in the category of fiance, she will normally be given permission to stay here for six months. She must not work during this time. After you have married, she can apply to stay here as the wife of a settled person. If UKBA approve this application, they will give her permission to live and work here for two years. Near the end of the two years, if you are still married and intend to live together, she can apply to settle here permanently.

Please also note that from autumn 2010, your thai lady will need to show that she can speak and understand English if she wants to enter or remain in the UK as the fiance or wife of a British citizen or a person settled here.

I hope this answers your question. Please kindly click ACCEPT so that I may be rewarded for my time. Thank-you.

Paul Richmond, Barrister
Experience: LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

many thanks paul for the informatiom things seem very clear to me now and what action i need to take once again many thanks

yours sincerely

w chilton

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.