Paul Richmond
Paul Richmond, Barrister
Experience:  LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
39918989

Can I apply as a dependant of my unmarried partner

Customer Question

I want a second opinion from another Immigration Law Expert(INC replied to my last question). Can I apply as a dependant of my unmarried partner, who is currently in the UK on a post study worker visa?

She has been present in the UK for more than 4 years now, out of which 3 years were on a student visa. I have been in the UK for about 5 years now. I'm currently in the UK on a post study visa which is running out in November, 2010. We have been living together in the UK since September, 2006. We both are from India.

What documents do I need to provide for the dependant visa application? How much funds do I need to show? What are the chances of success of such an application (unmarried dependant)?

Further Info that might be useful:

We have been in a relationship since November, 2004 but we started living together in the UK from September, 2006 and we are still living together now.

My immigration history is as follows:

September, 2005 - November, 2008 on a student visa
November, 2008 - November, 2010 on a Post Study Work visa

My partner's immigration history is as follows:

September, 2006 - January, 2010 on a student visa
January, 2010 - January, 2012 on a Post Study Work visa
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.

My name is Francine, and I’m a Moderator for JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question!

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question may be unclear
2. the question seems to require an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
3. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully
4. the question price you selected is too low for the complexity of the question

Please feel free to re-word your question or increase the price if you feel that may be the reason. Of course you are not required to increase the price. :)

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Best,

Fran
JustAnswer Moderator

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Expert:  Paul Richmond replied 4 years ago.

Thank-you for your question. I have not read the answer given by INC so you can be assured that the following answer represents independent advice.

Provision is made within the Immigration Rules at paragraph 295AA for unmarried partners of Relevant Points Based System Migrants to be granted leave to remain in the UK ('Relevant Points Based System Migrant' means a migrant granted to leave as a Tier 1 Migrant, a Tier 2 Migrant, a Tier 4 Migrant or a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) Migrant and would therefore include your partner).

The requirements for leave to remain as a dependent of a Relevant Points Based System Migrant are set out in paragraph 319C of the Immigration Rules. To qualify for leave to remain as the Partner of a Relevant Points Based System Migrant an applicant must meet the requirements listed below.

Requirements:

(a) The applicant must not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal, and if applying for leave to remain, must not be an illegal entrant.

(b) The applicant must be the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of a person who:

(i) has valid leave to enter or remain as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant, or

(ii) is, at the same time, being granted entry clearance or leave to remain as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant.

(c) An applicant who is the unmarried partner of a Relevant Points Based System Migrant must also meet the following requirements:

(i) any previous marriage or civil partnership or similar relationship by the applicant or the Relevant Points Based System Migrant with another person must have permanently broken down,

(ii) the applicant and the Relevant Points Based System Migrant must not be so closely related that they would be prohibited from marrying each other in the UK, and

(iii) the applicant and the Relevant Points Based System Migrant must have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership for a period of at least 2 years.

(d) The marriage or civil partnership, or relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership, must be subsisting at the time the application is made.

(e) The applicant and the Relevant Points Based System Migrant must intend to live with the other as their spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner throughout the applicants stay in the UK.

(f) The applicant must not intend to stay in the UK beyond any period of leave granted to the Relevant Points Based System Migrant .

(g) Unless the Relevant Points Based System Migrant is a Tier 1 (Investor) Migrant, there must be a sufficient level of funds available to the applicant, as set out in Appendix E.

(h) An applicant who is applying for leave to remain, must have, or have last been granted, leave:

(i) as the Partner of a Relevant Points Based System Migrant,

(ii) as the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of a person with leave under another category of these Rules who has since been granted, or is, at the same time, being granted leave to remain as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant, or

(iii) in any other category of these Rules, provided the Relevant Points Based System Migrant has, or is being granted, leave to remain as a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) Migrant in the creative and sporting subcategory on the basis of having met the requirement at paragraph 245ZQ(b)(ii).

(i) If the Relevant Points Based System Migrant is a Tier 4 Migrant, the Tier 4 Migrant must be applying 4 for or have entry clearance or leave to remain for a course of study that is longer than six months.

Unfortunately it appears from your immigration history that since you are currently in the UK on a Tier 1 PSW visa yourself, then you will be unable to satisfy the requirements of paragraph 319C(h) of the Immigration Rules above. This means that any in-country application for leave to remain will be unsuccessful. However, the good news is that paragraph 319C also sets out the requirements for entry clearance as an unmarried partner of a Points Based System Migrant and paragraph 319C(h) would not apply to an application for entry clearance because it states that it only applies to applications for leave to remain. Therefore, if you think that you can meet all the other requirements of paragraph 319C then the best way forward for you is to leave the country for a short period and re-apply from abroad for entry clearance to come back in as an unmarried partner of a Points Based System Migrant. You would be granted entry clearance for a period which expires on the same day as the leave granted to your unmarried partner, with the possibility of subsequently applying for indefinite leave to remain in the UK under paragraph 319E of the Immigration Rules.

I hope this has answered your question. Please kindly click ACCEPT so that I may be rewarded for my time. I will then be happy to answer any follow-up questions that you may have. Thank-you.

Paul Richmond, Barrister
Experience: LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for your Expert opinion on this matter.

What documents do I need to provide for the unmarried partner dependant visa application? I have evidence in the form of joint rental agreements, financial association in my credit report, water, energy, and council tax bills over a 4-year period (although there have been a couple of breaks in between in the case of some documents). I can also show bank account and credit card statements for both of us at the same addresses over the 4-year period in question (although they are not in joint names), tv license, telephone bills, car insurance and registration documents. Do you think all of these would be enough? Do I need to submit photographs as well? How many documents from each source do I have to show?

Also, how much funds do I need to show (£1600 or £533) considering the fact that my partner went to India on holiday for 1 month in September 2009 and then came back to the UK (she has been here since Sept 2005 on a student visa and before her student visa expired, she applied for leave to remain in the UK as a Post Study Worker in December 2009 which was granted in January 2009) ? Would she be considered as having lived in the UK for more than 12 months and therefore only have to show £533 for her dependant?

I would really appreciate it if you could clear my doubts on this issue.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.