Paul Richmond
Paul Richmond, Barrister
Experience:  LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)

hi there im hoping to get married to a girl from malaysia we

hi there im hoping to get married to a girl from malaysia we have know each other for eight years but only been in a relationship for two what is the best way to get visa to marry in the uk .im a british citizen with my own house and self employed thank you
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Paul Richmond replied 4 years ago.

Your Malaysian partner could apply for leave to enter the United Kingdom as your fiance. She should apply under this category if she wants to settle permanently in the UK after your marriage. (If she wants to come and get married here and she will then leave the UK, she should apply as a visitor for marriage)

If your partner is outside the UK and wants to come to the UK as a fiance, she can apply to do so if you are currently living in the UK and settled here. Both you and your fiance must be at least 21 years old (or 18 years old if either of you is a serving member of HM Forces). Additionally, you must both show that:

• you plan to marry within a reasonable time (usually six months);
  • you plan to live together permanently after you are married;
  • you have met each other;
  • until you are married, there is somewhere for you and any dependants to live without help from public funds; and
  • you and any dependants can be supported without working or needing help from public funds.

Your partner must obtain permission to enter the UK before travelling here. This permission is known as 'entry clearance', and takes the form of a visa or an entry clearance certificate. To obtain it, your partner should apply to the British diplomatic post in the country where she lives.

If you partner is allowed to come to the UK in the category of fiance, she will normally be given permission to stay here for six months. She must not work during this time. After you have married, she can apply - provided that she did not enter as a visitor for marriage - to stay here as the wife of a settled person. If this application is approved then she will be given permission to live and work here for two years. Near the end of the two years, if you are still married and intend to live together, she can apply to settle here permanently.

I hope this answers your question. Please kindly click ACCEPT so that I may be rewarded for my time. Thank-you.

Paul Richmond, Barrister
Experience: LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)