How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Paul Richmond Your Own Question
Paul Richmond
Paul Richmond, Barrister
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 138
Experience:  LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Paul Richmond is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband is just about to apply for a settlement visa to

This answer was rated:

my husband is just about to apply for a settlement visa to come to the uk from egypt. we are worried our application will be declined because i (as his sponsor) claim many public funds. he has savings of his own to support himself. will my situation stop us being able to get the visa?

My name is Francine, and I’m a Moderator for JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question!

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question may be unclear
2. the question seems to require an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
3. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully
4. the question price you selected is too low for the complexity of the question

Please feel free to re-word your question or increase the price if you feel that may be the reason. Of course you are not required to increase the price. :)

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:


JustAnswer Moderator

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no its fine. i know it is a very difficult question to answer and would need an expert in immigration. thanks anyway.

Your question has been sitting in our UK Immigration category.

Would you like me to see whether I find an expert who might be able to help or prefer a refund at this time?


Moderator, JustAnswer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if you can find me an answer i would be grateful. if it is not possible to answer my question then i will have a refund. many thanks

I'll see what I can do to find you an expert who can assist you.

No need to reply to this message. If an expert can help, he'll respond and you'll be notified by email.


Moderator, JustAnswer

Thank-you for your question. Home Office policy on public funds is that there is no objection to the British citizen/settled sponsor receiving any public funds to which he or she is entitled in his or her own right. The important factor to consider is whether there will be a need for the sponsor to claim additional public funds to support the applicant. If so, then it cannot be said that the applicant can, and will, be maintained without recourse to public funds and the application will be refused.


Turning to the facts of your case therefore, the fact that you claim public funds does not prevent your husband from obtaining settlement. The Home Office is only concerned with whether your husband will need to rely on public funds himself or whether you will need to claim additional public funds to maintain him. Provided that you can answer 'no' to these two issues that you will have no problem satisfying the maintenance requirement.


For further information on the maintenance requirement you might like to read the following internal guidance document prepared by the Home Office for its caseworkers:


I hope this answers your question. Please kindly click ACCEPT so that I may be rewarded for my time. Thank-you.

Edited by Paul Richmond on 7/9/2010 at 6:16 PM EST
Paul Richmond, Barrister
Satisfied Customers: 138
Experience: LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
Paul Richmond and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks so much you have made me much happier and more confident for our visa application.

I am pleased to have been of help. Please consider leaving some positive feedback if you have not done so already. Thank-you for the bonus.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions