How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7569
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was granted 5 years working permit, effective 21 July 2005,

Resolved Question:

I was granted 5 years working permit, effective 21 July 2005, I arrived in the United Kingdom on 25th August, 2005. During my stay, I changed a job in July, 2008 and my work permit visa was renewed to expire in 2013. I am almost 5 years since I arrived. I am working permanently as a social worker in one of the Local Authorities.

My question is, Can I apply for indefinate leave to remain in August, 2010 as per my original permit dated 2005?

If so when do I put in the application, and advise on what form to use?

Could you advise whether I can apply for citizenship straight away without applying for indefinate leave to remain first? And could you advise on the form to use.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Providing you have been here legally (albeit that you stitched jobs) since 2005 then this will be taken to be the date from which the 5 year period starts. You will be able to apply for ILR in August. Put the date at which you started working on the form.


You will have to apply to the Home Office by submitting form SET(O), it is available for download from the UKBA website. I would advise doing this immediately because the new rules are coming in to force next year and they will be swamped with applications in 2011.


You have to apply for ILR before you can apply for naturalisation (ie. citizenship) I'm afraid.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.



I am happy with your answer. Thank you.


The next question is do I apply 28 days before date stamped as arrival in the U.K, that is 25 August, 05

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



I believe you can apply 28 days before you are eligible for ILR, so that will be 28 days before the date which is five years after you started working.


I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.


Good luck.




Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions