Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My father was born in England and moved to the US when he was

My father was born in England and moved to the US when he was five. I understand that I could be considered a British Citizen by Descent, but what do I need to do to obtain that status or have it recognized? I was born before 1983 and my birth certificate notes that he was born in England.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Yes, you are entitled to be registered as a British Citizen if you were born before 1983 outside of the UK but to a father who was born in the UK (British Nationality Act 1981. Suffice it to say you will have to prove that your father was a British citizen and that you were born before 1983, though I do not imagine that will be too much of a problem.

You will have to apply to be registered as such by submitted Form B(OS) to the UKBA,

available for download from the UKBA's website.

If you decide to apply for a passport after having been registered you should check whether the Country which you presently hold a passport permits you to hold dual passsports. If this is the US then I believe they do.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom