How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7434
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father was born in England and moved to the US when he was

Resolved Question:

My father was born in England and moved to the US when he was five. I understand that I could be considered a British Citizen by Descent, but what do I need to do to obtain that status or have it recognized? I was born before 1983 and my birth certificate notes that he was born in England.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Yes, you are entitled to be registered as a British Citizen if you were born before 1983 outside of the UK but to a father who was born in the UK (British Nationality Act 1981. Suffice it to say you will have to prove that your father was a British citizen and that you were born before 1983, though I do not imagine that will be too much of a problem.


You will have to apply to be registered as such by submitted Form B(OS) to the UKBA,

available for download from the UKBA's website.


If you decide to apply for a passport after having been registered you should check whether the Country which you presently hold a passport permits you to hold dual passsports. If this is the US then I believe they do.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions