How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Immigration to UK my wife to be UK Visa needed for her

This answer was rated:

Immigration to UK my wife to be:

UK Visa needed for her so that she may enter the UK and for us to get married.

We have known each other for eighteen months and wish to be married

I live in England where I was born and she lives in the Phillippines where she was born

How do we go about getting her a Visa so that we can go ahead and book her flight

I will just mention that she lives a long way from Manilla and it gets expensive for her to go to Manilla due to the cost of flying and additional hotel costs for the time that she is there

Having said that, if necessary, she is prepared to make the trip to Manilla ahead of time

Lastly, she already has her passport.

Thanking you kindly



Can you confirm that you hold a UK passport?


Please also state how old you both are?


Kind regards,




Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Tom


Whilst I do hold a UK pasport, it has now expired. I presume that there is no reason as to why I could not obtain a new one if needed.


I am aged 68 and she is aged 25


I look forward to your kind reply, in the meantime I will be very happy to answer any more questions


Kind regards





Thanks for you reply.


In order to enter the UK to get married she will require a Fiance Visa which she will have to apply for by submitting Form VAF4 to the British Embassy in the Philippines.


You will have to show that:-

  • you plan to marry or register a civil partnership within a reasonable time (usually six months) (eg. evidence of booking a place to marry, statements from you both and possibly others)
  • you plan to live together permanently after you are married or have registered a civil partnership (statements, possible evidence of available accommodation where you will live together)
  • you have met each other before (statements, evidence of correspondence between you both)
  • there is somewhere for you and your dependents to live until you get married or register a civil partnership, and you will be able to live without help from public funds, (evidence of accommodation)
  • you and your dependents can be supported without working or claiming any help from public funds,(bank statements, financial records)
  • Neither of you are under 21 years of age (birth certificates passports)

Provided you can prove the above by submitting sufficient documentation she should receive a Visa to come here and marry. She will be allowed to stay in the UK for six months but without permission to work. When you are married or have registered a civil partnership, she can apply to the UK Border Agency for a two-year extension to your visa.



In order to give yourself the best possibly chance of a successful application and avoiding an need to appeal I would probably her get a immigration solicitor to either prepare or check the application before you send it off. You can find immigration solicitor using this Law Society search engine:-


Good luck.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.


I do not know how we can arrange our marriage until she is here: we intend to ask the local Vicar at our local church on the first sunday after she has arrived here


We plan to live together permanently in my existing home here in the UK. In actual fact, we will be living together as soon as she arrives here.


We will both be able to live entirely on my income.


You say: "you have met each other before (statements, evidence of correspondence between you both)"


We met on the internet through a dating site, we have spent a lot of time chatting to each other, sometimes as much as an hour in a day. We have exchanged many photographs and in addition discovered that we both have the same moral beliefs, i.e. marriage is for life, and more like that.


Having said that, we have yet to meet physically, and I am concerned that that could cause a problem. Having said that, in this day and age of modern communications, meeting on the net is virtually identical to a physical meeting.

Hi David,




Not being able to book the wedding is not a problem, your statements and possibly a couple of further ones from persons that know you will suffice.


Physically not having met is going to be a problem, I would not advise making a spouse application without having met - it is highly likely that it will be rejected.


Your options are the following:-

1. She comes here on a visitor's visa so that you can meet. She then returns home and makes the fiance visa application from home. She cannot make it here if she is a visitor, she must return home I'm afraid.

2. You go out there to meet. She then makes an application for a fiance visa as she will then meet the criteria which is problematic at the moment.

3. You go out there and you marry. She then makes an application for a spouses visa by using form VAF4 (available for download from the UKBA's visa website). In reality this would be the cheapest and probably the quickest way forward as only one application would have to be made. With the fiance visa it's two applications; one for the fiance visa and then a further application for a spouses visa once actually married.


Sorry it could not be simpler, it's a fairly common lament of people wishing to make immigration applications.


I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,





Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.


Thank you very kindly


you have been most helpful in an area where I effectively knew nothing


kind regards



You're welcome David, good luck and thank you for your kind accept.



JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.