Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Immigration to UK my wife to be UK Visa needed for her

Customer Question

Immigration to UK my wife to be:

UK Visa needed for her so that she may enter the UK and for us to get married.

We have known each other for eighteen months and wish to be married

I live in England where I was born and she lives in the Phillippines where she was born

How do we go about getting her a Visa so that we can go ahead and book her flight

I will just mention that she lives a long way from Manilla and it gets expensive for her to go to Manilla due to the cost of flying and additional hotel costs for the time that she is there

Having said that, if necessary, she is prepared to make the trip to Manilla ahead of time

Lastly, she already has her passport.

Thanking you kindly
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Can you confirm that you hold a UK passport?

Please also state how old you both are?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Tom

Whilst I do hold a UK pasport, it has now expired. I presume that there is no reason as to why I could not obtain a new one if needed.

I am aged 68 and she is aged 25

I look forward to your kind reply, in the meantime I will be very happy to answer any more questions

Kind regards

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

David,

Thanks for you reply.

In order to enter the UK to get married she will require a Fiance Visa which she will have to apply for by submitting Form VAF4 to the British Embassy in the Philippines.

You will have to show that:-

• you plan to marry or register a civil partnership within a reasonable time (usually six months) (eg. evidence of booking a place to marry, statements from you both and possibly others)
  • you plan to live together permanently after you are married or have registered a civil partnership (statements, possible evidence of available accommodation where you will live together)
  • you have met each other before (statements, evidence of correspondence between you both)
  • there is somewhere for you and your dependents to live until you get married or register a civil partnership, and you will be able to live without help from public funds, (evidence of accommodation)
  • you and your dependents can be supported without working or claiming any help from public funds,(bank statements, financial records)
  • Neither of you are under 21 years of age (birth certificates passports)

Provided you can prove the above by submitting sufficient documentation she should receive a Visa to come here and marry. She will be allowed to stay in the UK for six months but without permission to work. When you are married or have registered a civil partnership, she can apply to the UK Border Agency for a two-year extension to your visa.

In order to give yourself the best possibly chance of a successful application and avoiding an need to appeal I would probably her get a immigration solicitor to either prepare or check the application before you send it off. You can find immigration solicitor using this Law Society search engine:-

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

Good luck.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not know how we can arrange our marriage until she is here: we intend to ask the local Vicar at our local church on the first sunday after she has arrived here

We plan to live together permanently in my existing home here in the UK. In actual fact, we will be living together as soon as she arrives here.

We will both be able to live entirely on my income.

You say: "you have met each other before (statements, evidence of correspondence between you both)"

We met on the internet through a dating site, we have spent a lot of time chatting to each other, sometimes as much as an hour in a day. We have exchanged many photographs and in addition discovered that we both have the same moral beliefs, i.e. marriage is for life, and more like that.

Having said that, we have yet to meet physically, and I am concerned that that could cause a problem. Having said that, in this day and age of modern communications, meeting on the net is virtually identical to a physical meeting.

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi David,

Okay.

Not being able to book the wedding is not a problem, your statements and possibly a couple of further ones from persons that know you will suffice.

Physically not having met is going to be a problem, I would not advise making a spouse application without having met - it is highly likely that it will be rejected.

Your options are the following:-

1. She comes here on a visitor's visa so that you can meet. She then returns home and makes the fiance visa application from home. She cannot make it here if she is a visitor, she must return home I'm afraid.

2. You go out there to meet. She then makes an application for a fiance visa as she will then meet the criteria which is problematic at the moment.

3. You go out there and you marry. She then makes an application for a spouses visa by using form VAF4 (available for download from the UKBA's visa website). In reality this would be the cheapest and probably the quickest way forward as only one application would have to be made. With the fiance visa it's two applications; one for the fiance visa and then a further application for a spouses visa once actually married.

Sorry it could not be simpler, it's a fairly common lament of people wishing to make immigration applications.

I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very kindly

you have been most helpful in an area where I effectively knew nothing

kind regards

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

You're welcome David, good luck and thank you for your kind accept.

Tom