Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i married a chinese girl a month ago and of course i am keen

Customer Question

i married a chinese girl a month ago and of course i am keen for her to come to england,could you advise the steps required please.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Can you confirm your immigration status in this country please. Citizen with passport, Visa, indefinite leave to remain?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am a british citizen it is my wife who is chinese,i hope that helps
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

She will need to apply apply for settlement here as your spouse before she actually comes here. She will need to do so using Form SET(F) available Home Office UK Border Agency Website and send to British Consulate/Embassy

Essentially you would have to prove that you are legally married (marriage certificate), that you are settled here (passport etc), that you intend to live together as man and wife, that you have met before, that you can support each other without the need to use any form of public funds and that you are both over 21 years of age.

I would suggest that you either instruct an immigration solicitor/practitioner to prepare the application for your or that you give it to them to check before you submit it, things can get fairly messy on appeal if you send in an incomplete application

Finally, congratulation on your marriage, I wish you the best of luck with your application.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we have all the info to hand as regards XXXXX XXXXX do i fill it in here or send it to her in china.thank you for your help and wishes, many thanks, oh how long would the application take
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

She will have to apply from China to the embassy/consulate there (whichever it is), but the application itself should be prepared by whichever of you is more suited to these things. Obviously it will be a collaborative thing and practically it may be best for you to have the final version to hand here to pass to a solicitor to check.

It's a real moveable feast but it usually takes anywhere between 6 weeks to 5 months.

I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i asked a question a couple of days ago about my chinese wife joining me here in the uk.i was advised to fill in application form set (f).the border agency does not recognise this form,could you please clarify many thanks XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Nick

Very sorry, small oversight - if she is applying out of country the form you require is in fact form VAF4A for settlement:-

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/vafs/

Same criteria as above applies.

Tom