Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello, I am a 27 year old Australian currently living in the

Hello, I am a 27 year old Australian currently living in the UK on a 2 year working holiday visa, which runs out on the 4th of June this year. What will happen if I leave the UK 1-2 weeks after my visa expires. Would I be running the risk of being banned from re-entry?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Although they would be within their rights to ban you from re-entering if you overstay by any length of time generally there is a convention (though not a rule/law) that no such action is taken if you overstay by less than 28 days. If you make a further application for re-entry you will have to explain why you overstayed and its best to have a good reason for doing so.

An overstay would not be atomatically fatal to a further application for re-entry but you would have to explain it, and it would also be much better to volunteer the information rather than tender it upon request.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Edited by T_Graham12 on 5/13/2010 at 11:56 AM EST