Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

hello, i was born in the uk in jan 1990, i have never

hello,
i was born in the uk in jan 1990, i have never applied for a passport, but now i want to...the problem is my friends tell me i need to do naturalisation before i can get a passport because when i was born my mum didnt have any status in the country, but my dad had indefiante leave to remain. can you advice me
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

What's your current status? How are you permitted to reside in the Country at the moment? Do you have a VISA

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont use a visa or nothing , i have been sent my national insurance from 16, i have never been out of the country , i have my full birth certificate , but people tell me i need naturalisation before i can get a passport even thou i havent stepped out of the united kingdom since i was born. is that right, DO I NEED NATURALISATION , OR DO I JUST APPLY FOR THE PASSPORT STRAIGHT AWAY
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Right.

Yes, you have to apply for naturalisation using form AN and this will include having to take the citizenship ceremony as part of the process, swearing allegiance to the Queen. Once you have been through this process you can apply for your passport straight away to the United Kingdom Passport Agency.

Obtaining naturalisation will be highly unlikely to be difficult for you having been here for the length of time you have, but you still need to do it in order to apply for and receive a UK passport.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom