SYK, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B Hons, PgDip in Legal Practice, Solicitor 4 Years PQE

Hello. I am a Swedish citizen who became a dual Swedish British

Customer Question

Hello. I am a Swedish citizen who became a dual Swedish British citizen recently.
Would the British Home office or any other official inform the Swedish immigration or consular of my new dual status. I am desperate to find out. I recently found out that my Swedish relatives would not consider me as family if they found out.
One of them works for the Swedish migration department. Please may someone who knows for sure advice me if the information about my dual status would show up on official Swedish records. I appreciate your help. Thank you.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  SYK replied 6 years ago.

Hello there,

The UK has no restrictions on dual nationality, whether Sweden does, you will have to check with the Swedish Consular. The UK home office will certainly not inform the Swedish immigration office of your dual nationality. It would not be possible for UKBA to report every individual who has dual nationality to other countries. There are also confidentiality issues involved here and I am certain that the British Home office will not be reporting the fact that you have a British passport to the Swedish Consular.

Hope the above gives you some reassurance. Please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT Button

Regards SYK

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help in this matter, I really appreciate your help. My main concerne is the Swedish consular or any official knowing of my British status.
Under my families will it stipulates that we all stay Swedish.I just found this out. And I need to renew my Swedish passport In Sweden very soon.
So I am very worried of any official goverment agency possible being able to see I hold both citizenships. I understand the British officials will know and that is fine,And are you certain the home office or border agency will not have informed the Swedish goverment of my dual status.
I would really appreciate if you could give me peace of mind that no other official could look that up.. Thanks again. You have been really helpful.
Kind regards. DE
Expert:  SYK replied 6 years ago.

Hi D.E,

The UKBA have no obligation to inform the Swedish consular of your dual status. It would not be feasible for UK to inform other countries that an individual has dual nationality. Again, due to confidentiality, UKBA would not provide this information to another source in any case.

Hope this puts your mind at rest.