CharlotteSJ
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.

I have herpes and was diagnosed in 2008 while visiting the

I have herpes and was diagnosed in 2008 while visiting the UK. I have since that time met a wonderful British girl. My ex-girlfriend, who also happens to be British, has stated she will contact the UK Home Office and inform them that I have herpes with the intent of preventing me from entering or being in the UK. Will I denied entry into the UK if I visit because of having herpes? Furthermore, if my current girlfriend and I want to get married would I refused a spouse visa because i have herpes?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 4 years ago.

The only way that you can be refused a spouses visa to the UK is if you do not meet the spouses visa requirements, you have a deportation order against you or the Home Office believe that you have tried in some way to deliberately deceive them but even if this case if you appeal and can demonstrate that not giving you the visa would breach your human rights, you can still get it. They are not allowed to refuse you a visa just because you have herpes if you satisfy all the other requirements. In any event there is nowhere on the VAF 4 form on which you apply for a spouses visa that they ask about medical conditions and so unless you specifically bring it to their attention, there is no way they can know.

It is extremely unlikely that they will pay any attention to your ex-girlfriend, especially if she does this before you have even applied for a visa as they will at that point have no record of you and so will have nowhere to make a note of it.

I hope this answers your question in which case please Accept. If you require anything further, please ask.

CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Experience: I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Charlotte,  2 more brief questions.  1) Having herpes will not prevent me from just visiting the UK as well even before I apply for the spouse visa, correct?   2)  Also, you made mention of the Home Offce having no record of me as of yet. I did receive a student visa good for 6 months back in 2008 for a brief course at Bournemouth University. But, being granted that visa would not maintain a file/record of me, correct, nor impact a completely separate visa for which I would apply? Thank you very much Charlotte!