A Hayat
A Hayat, Immigration Solicitor
Experience:  13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law

I am a South African living in UK with a 5 year residency visa.

I am a South African living in UK with a 5 year residency visa. I am also in a Civil Parnership with a French National. We have been married for 3 and a half years. I am also permanently employed with the same employer for the last 5 years. I will be travelling to South Africa in May. What if my passport gets stolen there? What do I need to do to enter the UK if my passport and visa are stolen?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  A Hayat replied 6 years ago.

Is the French national living in the UK - i take it you havent yet lost the passport, is that correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes my partner - french national - lives in uk with me.
We are in a civil partnership - this is however
not recognized in Franch so I have no visa rights
in France.
And I have not lost the passport, I just
need some info on what to do in case it gets stolen and
what to do to get back to the uk as soon as possible.

Expert:  A Hayat replied 6 years ago.

I assume your passport is a South African passport so in the event that you lose it you will need to first obtain a replacement from your national authority. Following this you can approach the British Embassy to whom you would explain what happened. Assuming they have a record of having granted your visa fairly recently they may be able to endorse your new passport accordingly. In some cases they do request fresh applications to be made for the same visa you held before which if you make them aware of your circumstances they should deal with on an urgent basis.

You should retain a copy of your current passport evidencing that you have been granted your current visa status together with any paperwork relating to it. This should expedite any future decision being made.

Losing a passport is always a problem so one should take as much care as possible not to lose such an important document otherwise the stress involved with replacing it is inevitable.

Trust this answers your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When you say obtain a copy of your passport - does that
mean a certified copy? And where would be the best place
to have this done? I have looked into a solicitor that will charge
me £60 per page to be certified and at the local
post office it will only cost me £7 per page.
Will certifying it through the local post office be
enough? Or should I do it through a solicitor?
Expert:  A Hayat replied 6 years ago.

£60.00 per page!!- £5.00 to £10.00 per page should be more than reasonble so you may need to shop around and you can usually get by with just a copy of the photo page and pages endorsed with relevant visas.

ideally it should be a complete copy but you have to decide economically what is practical as having a certifcied copy helps but it does not necessarily resolve the problem.

Trust this answers your question.