How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A Hayat Your Own Question
A Hayat
A Hayat, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 337
Experience:  13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
A Hayat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am Austrian, living in the UK and married. My husband

Resolved Question:

I am Austrian, living in the UK and married. My husband is a non-EU member. He gained permanent residency status early this year (10 years review period).
Our marriage is not going well and I am planning my divorce. Which consequences would this have on my husband's immigration-visa and his aim to obtain the British nationality? Would it be easy for him to switch visa due to the divorce, so that he can continue working/living in the UK without being dependend on me?
Thank you,
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  A Hayat replied 6 years ago.

Did you husband gain indefinite leave based on 10 years continous residence, is that what you mean?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hm, I am not sure right now. I know that the vignette states reference to '10 years' in brackets and I recall that the wording is 'permanent residency' rather than something about indefinite leave.
Are there different types available?
Please let me know in more detail if I have to check anything further.

Expert:  A Hayat replied 6 years ago.

Can you clarify the grant of status and on what basis he obtained his status as from the sounds of it, it doesnt seem that it was based on being your dependant or spouse?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, I have no access to the exact information you are looking for, just that the vignette in his passport states 'permanent residency' with reference to those 10 years review-period. When my husband applied he had to present evidence not just about himself for the past 5 years but also about me, meaning that my passport, payslips, account slips and utility bills with both our names had to be sent to the UKBA.
His right to work in the UK due to our marriage is based on European law, so far I am aware, rather than on UK as I am Austrian.
Does this help any further? I can't imagine that his case is any different to other people's; so would expect a standard process that applied upon his residency application.
Expert:  A Hayat replied 6 years ago.

If then what you say is correct and your partner holds permanent resident status in the United Kingdom then his divorcing you should not affect his status or equally have any bearing on any future application he makes i.e. for seeking naturalisation.

A spouse of an EEA national who is exercising treaty rights is normally afforded a five year residence card following which they can apply for permanent residency in their own right. After this grant of 5 years, a divorce from their spouse would not affect their entitlement or ability to work or to remain resident in the member state in which they are residing.

Trust this answers your question.

Please don't forget to click accept! And only then will I be glad to offer some additional information at no extra charge.

Edited by A Hayat on 4/6/2010 at 9:16 PM EST
A Hayat, Immigration Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 337
Experience: 13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
A Hayat and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.