A Hayat
A Hayat, Immigration Solicitor
Experience:  13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law

Hi, I am a Zimbabwean citizen who came to the UK in 2000 on

Hi, I am a Zimbabwean citizen who came to the UK in 2000 on a student Visa. The student visa expired after 1 year and I stayed in the country. I have an 8 year old daughter with a lady that I'm no longer with and I see my daughter at least twice a week. I have lived with my partner to whom I engaged for 8 years now. I now wish to make my stay legal so that we can get married. I would like to know what my options are short of having to go back to Zimbabwe where I no longer have any family left as both my parents are deceased and my siblings have are all no longer in Zimbabwe.

what stauts does your current partner have - what is the child's status and her mothers?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My current Partner's status is British Citizen and My daughter and her mother are both british citizens. Thanks.

From what you say, you have been living in a relationship akin to marriage with your current partner for eight years and have regular contact with your child who is settled in the United Kingdom. You can therefore make an application from within the United Kingdom to remain with your current partner without the need for having to leave the United Kingdom despite your current immigration status. Your application will also invoke your rights under article 8 of the Human Rights Act 1998 (as incorporated) and so long as you can satisfactorily evidence what you claim to be are the facts of your case and that you can support and maintain yourself in the United Kingdom without recourse to public funds, then you have every chance of successfully obtaining stay in the United Kingdom

Ideally you should instruct a good immigration solicitor to help you through the process.

Trust this answers your question.

Please don't forget to click accept! And I will be glad to offer some additional information at no extra charge.