CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.

hello, i live in UK and my girlfriend i met online lives in

hello, i live in UK and my girlfriend i met online lives in Periera, Colombia, is there a way she can move to UK with me to live together? i have not met her yet, but have know her for 5 years and we want to move in together. also i have a medical condition Agoraphobia, whic prevents me going outdoors, so me travelling to Colombia is impossible. is there anyway she can move here?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 6 years ago.

Initially your best starting point would be for her to come as a visitor for 6 months. If you haven't met her, it will not be possible for her to come to live with you as all settlement visas require you to have met. This will also give you the opportunity to make sure that you do want to be together once you are with each other every day.

If you decide that you do want to be together having lived together for 6 months, then she will need to return to Columbia and make an application for a fiance visa as it is not possible to switch from a visitors visa to a spouses visa in the UK. It is also generally not permitted to marry in the UK on a visitors visa. You will need a certificate of approval which you are not guaranteed to get as she will be on a visa of less than 6 months. It may be possible to marry in a Church of England where you don't need a certificate of approval, however this will be entirely up to your vicar and the diocesan registrar and they are not forced to say yes.

I hope this answers your question in which case please Accept. If you require further information, please ask.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
does this mean she can come here for 6 months? even if i havent met her?
i was under the impression we would have to have met before she is allowed into uk?

She can come as a visitor without you having met her but if you wanted her to come as your spouse or fiance then yes, you would need to have met. That is why I suggested that you bring her on a visitors visa as then you can meet her without travelling to Columbia. If granted, she would be able to come for a period of 6 months but then she would have to return to Columbia to apply to come in as a spouse/fiance.

I hope this answers your question in which case please Accept. If you require any further information, please ask.