How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im hoping someone can help me asap! I need to send off

Resolved Question:

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me asap! I need to send off application in a couple of weeks.....

Situation - My husband is on a 2 year visa and is now applying for ILR. He is from Turkey. We have a little boy and both the baby and myself are British citizens.

Application - I have gathered all information needed and evidence that the SETM form requires, I am just confused about one aspect....

I understand, and have been told from numerous sources that we are entitled to Child tax credit and working tax credit, as when you are married to a british citizen you are then classed as a "normal" couple claiming for this particular benefit. Having looked on the internet at various forums I am not sure what boxes to tick on the form under "what public funds are you claiming" Obviously we are claiming, but some say it is not a public funds due to our situation and I guess me being british. Not quite sure what to do and have found it hard to find anyone to help. Much appreciated. Thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 6 years ago.

On page 9 of the form is where you enter the details of the public funds you are claiming. At the bottom of the page is a list of the different public funds. There is no problem with you as a British citizen claiming WTC and CTC as you are entitled to do so and so there will be no problem with your husband's application if you tick these boxes.


Under q7.6, it asks whether you or your partner are claiming public funds. You need to tick 'Yes' and then there is a list below of all different public funds. CTC is half way down the first column and WTC is at the bottom of the second column. I assume that both will be paid to you (as in your name is XXXXX XXXXX top of the statements you receive) and so tick the box under 'your partner' that corresponds with the WTC/CTC. Make sure you tick the correct column - the one entitled 'You' relates to your husband as it is his application and the column entitled 'Your partner' relates to you as his British spouse.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for your answer, confirms to me we're allowed it, however I am fine ticking the boxes for myself as the claimant, but as CTC and WTC have to be claimed jointly should I be ticking my partners box as well?

Bit more info - The money is paid into my account, but 2 letters are received one addressed to myself and one to my husband as it joint - based on our joint income.

Sorry if I seem to be making it more complicated than it might be - but don't want to effect the application in any way.

Hope to hear from you soon. Many thanks
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 6 years ago.

This is an extract from the Home Office Public Funds Leaflet:


b) My partner is allowed to claim tax credits - can I claim them too?
Claims for child and working tax credits are assessed jointly. If you are living with a spouse or partner who is allowed to claim tax credits, your name may be included in the claim.


This provides that you are not doing anything wrong by claiming CTC and WTC and so as long as you include it on the application form, it will be fine. It will cause you no problems to include that both you and your partner are receiving the funds and so it would be fine to tick both boxes.


It won't make much difference to the application and so I wouldn't worry about it!


CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience: I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
CharlotteSJ and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.