CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.

I was an overstayer for 9 years in the UK and I was in a relationship

I was an overstayer for 9 years in the UK and I was in a relationship for two years, my partner is from holland. We decided to get marry so I ask the home office for the permission and it was granted to me, we got marry last August and we submitted the application,we receive a letter of acknowledgement and I also got my NI and working, the question I would to ask is how long does home office takes to issue the spouse visa permit ? It's going on 5 months now, I made to understand that because my husband is from the EU it would take less time, can you please shed some light on this for me. Thanks.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 6 years ago.

As the spouse of an EEA citizen, you do not actually need to apply for leave to remain, the fact you are married to him gives you your status. Did you apply as an EEA family member rather than as a spouse of a British citizen? If so then the residence card you are waiting for is just a formality and not a necessity for you to remain here legally.

You can write to the Home Office and try and ask for an update on your case. If you still struggle you could either get a solicitor to chase on your behalf or contact your local MP and get them to chase it up for you.

I hope this answers your question in which case please Accept. If you require any further information, please ask.