How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi there my girlfriend is from botswana & we want to get married

Resolved Question:

hi there my girlfriend is from botswana & we want to get married in botswana. will the marriage be legal in the UK. & what do we need to do to get married in botswana
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 6 years ago.

You will need to check what Botswana law says about what you need to do to legally marry in Botswana. As far as UK law is concerned, providing the marriage is legal in the country it was conducted in, we will consider it legal in this country for the purposes of obtaining a spouses visa to bring her to the UK.


Once you are married, you will need to submit an application for a spouses visa to the British embassy in Botswana or alternatively the nearest British Embassy and then your wife will have a visa to come to the UK for 2 years, at the end of which she will be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.


I hope this answers your question in which case Accept. If you have any further questions, please ask.

CharlotteSJ and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions