How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Amanji Your Own Question
Amanji, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108
Experience:  Litigation Partner with live and varied private client immigration caseload.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Amanji is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

illegal immigrant

This answer was rated:

I have made an application to the home office for long residence since 2005. I came here in 1994 illegally but I was underage. Am now 28 in a common law marriage and have a UK born son, so what are my options in regards XXXXX XXXXX application? I don't want to lose my family - i have sisters are well who have been granted British residence and my mother is a British citizen. So please can you advise me.. Thanks

Good morning


Need more info.


When did you make long residence application?

How old is your son? Is he British? Is your name on his birth certificate?

What evidence does your mother and partner hold of being British?

Any plans to marry mother of your child?

Do you work in UK and pay tax?

What evidence did you submit to prove you have been in UK since 1994?


Kind regards


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I made my long residence application in 2005/2006

My son is 4months old now and his mother is British born and holds a British passport and yes my name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate.

My mother and partner both hold a British passport and even some of my family member does like my little sister who is British born as well and my mother naturalize a few years back.

I am not too sure about marrying the mother of my child as i don't know what the future holds but i would like to say yes maybe one day but i don't want the outcome of my status based on weather i marry her or not.

At the moment i am working but i know its illegal, i gone to secondary school, college while i have been here. Even got my NI at 16years old which is legit.

I have submitted all my secondary school reports and even letter from my teachers to prove when i started school as that's what the solicitor asked me to prove.

What else can i do please?

Thanks for the reply

Kind regards.


Thanks for reply.


It appears that overall you have been in UK for around 15-16 yrs already. Your submitted your application earlier than the regular 14 yrs required for which UKBA should credit you. The fact that they have taken 4-5 yrs to process is not your fault but it has resulted in you going beyond the 14 yr mark. Delay in processing is not a novelty for UKBA. I had a long residence case which was not decided for 7yrs and we had to chase through MP to get any response.


If you have not already done so, you should send UKBA supporting letters from employers, friends and family to confirm that you have indeed been in UK since 1994. Details of your relationship with family in UK and strength thereof.


The human rights angle which needs to be highlighted if not already done so. This is where you should send supporting letter from your partner detailing your relationship (when met, any cohabitation, photographs together, how child is being brought up etc) and birth certificate for your child. Common law marriage is not a concept accepted in the UK. However, you are unmarried partners and your relationship should be credited for its longevity thus far.


Ideally, you should give a variety of evidence for each year of your residence in UK since 1994 eg school certificates, official letters such as covering letter for national insurance card, utility bills, P60s, P45s, bank and credit card statements, tenancy agreements etc.


This is your application and it is up to you to provide the evidence to UKBA. If you can prove that you have strong ties in the UK and you are not a threat to society at large, it will be difficult for UKBA to justify refusal. They may do it any way but you should have a right of appeal before an independent Immigration Judge. On the face of it, your case looks reasonable and your solicitor should be able to advise you further.


Good luck.




Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I forgot to mention 1 more thing to you, i was arrested and detained by the UKBA in 2004 and i was served IS91 or IS96, liable for deportation and i have been signed on since then. Would that makes any difference in my application?

Let me get this straight, you were detained on arrest (IS91) and later granted temporary admission (IS96)?


Are you sure that you have not been served with IS151A (administrative removal) or ICD1070 (deportation) or any ICD forms?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes arrested and later gain TA but i have not been served with anything. They are still deciding my case

Thanks for reply.


It appears from your response that deportation forms have not been served. This may or may not mean that your criminal offence was not serious. If you now have a criminal record, this will not help your case.


My understanding is that if the temporary admission does not result in valid leave to remain from UKBA, the period since service of IS96 does not count towards your application.


The decision naturally lies with UKBA at present. You may well be detained again. You should note that whilst an application is outstanding at UKBA and you have not exhausted your rights of appeal, they should not be able to remove you from the country. I cannot say anything further.


However, if you have not provided the evidence of your family life in UK already, please do so immediately to bolster your case.


Kind regards




Amanji, Immigration Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 108
Experience: Litigation Partner with live and varied private client immigration caseload.
Amanji and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.