How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Amanji Your Own Question
Amanji, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108
Experience:  Litigation Partner with live and varied private client immigration caseload.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Amanji is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a UK resident and have a nigerian boyfriend i would like

Resolved Question:

I am a UK resident and have a nigerian boyfriend i would like him to come here to as it is hard for me to travel to him as i am disabled .what do we need to do to allow him to come .does he need a visa ? someone told him i need to send an invitation to him is this correct ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Amanji replied 6 years ago.

Good afternoon


Need more info.


Do you intend to marry each other in UK? Are you engaged? Do you have any children together? How long does he want to come here for?


Kind regards



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Answers to your questions yes we would like to get married if possible in uk as due to my disability it is hard to fly i require 24 hr oxygen.i still live full life but am a little restricted as to travel.we do not have any children together but i do have two children at home .i am a widow my children are both still at school .We are engaged and have been for just over 10 months now . My fiancee would like to come here for good but am not sure if that is possible straight away .i do own my own house and he would not need to claim any state benifits but would like to work .he does have a degree in buisness management gained at university in nigeria .
Expert:  Amanji replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for reply.

You may wish to try the fiance route if you are already engaged. As sponsor you would need to provide a sponsorship declaration/letter which undertakes to maintain and accomodate your fiance.


Fiance visas falls within the category of settlement visas (just like spouse visas). If granted, they have 6mth expiry within which your fiance would have to travel to UK and have civil marriage with you and then apply for leave to remain in UK as your spouse.

Your fiance must demonstrate a number of things in his visa application such as: you are both at least 21yrs old; have an intention to live together as man and wife (provide property assessment report to show fiance can be accomodated without overcrowding at your residence); you have physically met each other; you are both free to marry (provide decree absolutes if applicable); and you have made enquiries as to wedding arrangements eg leaflets from Register Office and venue quotations for the reception.

You would be sponsor in your fiance's visa application. I would reiterate that you would need to undertake to maintain and accomodate your fiance. You would need to provide various supporting documents such as sponsorship declaration; 3mths bank/savings statements; office copies/latest annual mortgage statement; and property assessment report.

The fact that you may or not claim public funds because of your disbaled status should not be an issue. However, your fiance must be maintained and accomodated without recourse to 'additional' public funds. If your income is at least £650.00 per month after mortgage then you should be okay. It should be apparent that the funds are available. However, it helps to have a healthy bank balance and savings to satisfy the requirement. If you are living within an agreed overdraft, it would probably cause difficultly. If your fiance has his own funds available to him, he should provide proof with the visa application. A combination of funds for you and him is acceptable.

Please note that you fiance will not be able to work on fiance visa. Once he has leave to remain as spouse then there is no restriction on him working in UK.

Hope that helps. Kind regards


Please click green button to accept answer.

Amanji, Immigration Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 108
Experience: Litigation Partner with live and varied private client immigration caseload.
Amanji and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.