INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)

I came to the UK to play womens football (amateur). My passport/general

Customer Question

I came to the UK to play women's football (amateur). My passport/general visitor visa expires at Christmas; however, I would like to stay for 20 months beyond that to play with the team while I study online. I had been advised not to apply for a sports visitor visa as that would only get me an additional 6 months. I know there is a long term visitor visa, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to apply or have a good chance at being granted a 2 year visa. I'm looking for a way to extend my stay/obtain a visa while in the UK so that I don't have to move all of my stuff back home at Christmas and forfeit my room due to the uncertainty of whether or not my visa application will be successful. I've called over 50 places and each one just refers me to the next. I'd appreciate any feedback or advice.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.

What are you planning to Study?

Have you considered making an application for a Tier 4 General (Student) Visa?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am studying online through an American university so no, I don't have plans to study in the UK.
Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the Clarification.

If you are not planning to Studty in the UK, the only way you will be able to make an application for a Visa longer thanm 6 months is to make an application for a Visa under one of the other categories under the Points Based System.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A visit, business or sports visit visa may be valid for 2, 5 or 10 years.

Generally visit visas are valid for six months. But they can be issued for longer, for 1,2,5 or 10 years. However, those with longer term visas can still only stay in the UK for six months at any one time, other than Academic Visitors and parents of children at school as outlined above. Longer term visas are generally issued to frequent travellers.

Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.

What you are referring to is a multi-entry Visitors Visa for a specific period of time.

If you are a sports person in the UK, a Visitors Visa would not allow you to work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I sent that last one too early. This is what I found off of ukvisas.gov.uk. Would this be something I could apply for? I have found in other places that a sports visit visa is only valid for 6 months but here it says otherwise.

I am not looking to work.

Can I apply for an extension/visa within the UK?

Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.

A multi entry visa is what you could apply for, however, my concern is tha a visitors visa will not allow you to work in any capacity, howevere, a sports visa will.

If you wish to make an application for a multi-entry visa, you will have to make tha appropriate application to the Home Office.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not interested in working at all. Is a sports visa typically only vaild for 6 months? I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean by making the application to the Home Office. Is that something I can do without returning to America? I tried to apply online but when it came to scheduling a biometrics appointment, it would only let me select locations within the US.
Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.

If you are currently on a Sports Visa, you can submit a fresh application to extend or vary your Leave whilst in the UK.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm currently on a general visitor visa/my passport. Does that change anything? Do I do this online or print an application? The application that I've found to print says for use outside of the UK.
Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.

Which site are you downloading the forms from?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ukvisas.gov.uk and in the upper right corner it says for use outside the UK only
Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.
The UK Visas site is designed for people outside of the UK.

You need to be looking on the following site:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/managingborders/managingmigration/businessandspecialvisitors/sportsvisitor/

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Is there any way you could provide me with the link to the application I should use for the multiple-entry visitor visa? I'm assuming you pay the fee regardless of if you get the visa or not?
Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.

Click on the following link for further details:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/pbs/tier2sportsperson

I hope this helps. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, but can I have the link for the multiple-entry visitor visa instead of the sportsperson? Thanks.

Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.
If you will continue playing football, you will need to apply for a sports visitors visa. The following link will give you further details:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visitingtheuk/visitors/eligibility/

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can I please just have the link for the multiple-entry visitor visa? I would not fit under Tier 2 sportsperson because it is not professional and I'm not elite competing at the highest level.

Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.

Click on the following link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visitingtheuk/visitors/extendingyourstay/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is the form on this page the same as I'd use for a multiple-entry or longer term visa? This is my concern from the website link you gave me that leads me to believe this form would only grant me an additional six months:

If we gave you permission to enter for three months and you would like to extend your stay to the maximum of six (or 12) months in total, you will need to apply for an extension using the application form FLR(O).

Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.

If you are switching from your sports visitors visa, you will need to make an application on Form FLR O.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have a sports visa. I just have my passport which I guess is the same as a general visa. Will the FLR O form permit me to stay for up to 2 additional years?
Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I have a few more questions, but I just want to make sure I do what is right/best the first time around.

Is the extension from the time my first visa expires or from the time they process it?

If it is from when they process, would it be smarter to send it in a few days before my current visa expires (in case I don't get the 20 month request accepted) so as to have a slightly longer stay?

If I ask for 20 months and they deny it, would they grant me 6 months instead or just refuse the whole application?

Thanks in advance.