INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)

I am enquiring on behalf of my Moroccan friend who came to

I am enquiring on behalf of my Moroccan friend who came to the UK to visit his brother who has ILR. He now would like to stay in the UK permanently to be with his brother. He has a Spanish Residence permit that expires in July 2010. (He has lived in Spain for the past 5 years where he worked in his profession as a hairdresser). What does he have to do to be able to stay in the UK? His English skills are limited. Thank you very much for your help.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.

When will your friend be eligible to apply for Spanish Citizenship?

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
His second Residence Permit is valid until July 10 (I have been informed that Marrocans first get a permit for 1 year, then 2 permits valid for 2 years each, and then a 3rd permit valid for 5 years and only then you can apply for citizenship)

Thanks and kind regards
Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.
Who informed you of this?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My morrocan friend.

Thanks and kind regards
Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.

This may be the case in Spain, however, I cannot corroborate this as I am not familiar with Spanish Law.

With regard to joining his brother in the UK, the only way to do this would be to make an application of his own under one of the various categories. As he is over 18, he will not be eligible to apply as a dependant unless in exceptional circumstances.

Once he has Spanish Citizenship, he will be able to travel freely between the UK and even live in the UK without hindrance as a EEA National.

I hope this helps. If so, kindly click accept.

Kind regards,