INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)

Hello, I am British citizen and also Slovakian citizen I

I am British citizen and also Slovakian citizen I have lived in the UK for 15 years . My partner is Australian with HSMP ( T1 General visa) . Thee visa expires in December, but we are planning to get married in January. what visa does he need to apply for and would it make a diferrence if we moved our wedding forward before his visa expired? Could you also please tell us if we could apply here in the UK or would we have to travel to Australia ?

Thank you and rgeards

Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

It does make a difference if you move your wedding forward. If you can do this, your partner will be eligible to make an application for a Spouse Visa. He can make the application whilst in the UK and as soon as possible after the marriage.

If you decide to get married in January, he will have to apply for an extension of his existing visa, a certificate of approval and then a Spouse Visa.

He will need to apply for a Certificate of Approval in any event, however, if you get married in December, he will have to make one application less.

I hope this helps. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your answer , could you please confirm that the UKBA accepts spousal visa applications when there is less than six months left on a current T1 visa? My partner read somewhere that they do not. And also will he be able to continue working whilst waiting for the spouse visa?