INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Hi, im a UK citizen since birth and im in the armed forces.

Hi, i'm a UK citizen since birth and i'm in the armed forces. I would like my american girlfriend who i've known for 8 years to come over and live with me. I believe this would be easier if we were already married or my girlfriend had an offer of work in the UK. However could you give me a brief outline of the rules regarding immigration of a US citizen to the UK?

Thanks.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If a US Citizen is intending to travel to the UK for a holiday or as a Tourist, they do not necessarily need to make an application for entry clearance before they leave.

However, if a US Citizen is intending to live in the UK, he/she will need to make an application for the appropriate visa.

If you and your girlfriend are intending to get married, she should make an application for a Fiancee Visa from teh US.

Click on the following link for details of how she can make an application and a link to a copy of the form:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf4husbandswivespartners

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,