How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11819
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, im a UK citizen since birth and im in the armed forces.

Resolved Question:

Hi, i'm a UK citizen since birth and i'm in the armed forces. I would like my american girlfriend who i've known for 8 years to come over and live with me. I believe this would be easier if we were already married or my girlfriend had an offer of work in the UK. However could you give me a brief outline of the rules regarding immigration of a US citizen to the UK?

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


If a US Citizen is intending to travel to the UK for a holiday or as a Tourist, they do not necessarily need to make an application for entry clearance before they leave.


However, if a US Citizen is intending to live in the UK, he/she will need to make an application for the appropriate visa.


If you and your girlfriend are intending to get married, she should make an application for a Fiancee Visa from teh US.


Click on the following link for details of how she can make an application and a link to a copy of the form:


I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.


If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,

INC and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions