Gallagher99
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR /SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR/SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

The stability control system light just came on on my wife's

Customer Question

The stability control system light just came on on my wife's 20008 Focus on her way to work. What does this mean?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Just the amber stability control light
JA: What year is your Focus?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. This just happened.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This indicates a component is at fault for the vehicle stability system.This can be a component tied into one of the suspension components failing needing replaced.I have seen a failing wheel speed sensor cause this fault.The vehicle can still be driven until this can be looked into but keep in mind she may not have anti lock brake capabilities until the fault is located and repaired.She will still have normal power brakes though.

What needs to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a compatible scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers.Once this is done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.This is usually checked by a dealer or shop.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 4 months ago.

Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you today

Ok the fault will lie with a faulty brake pressure sensor (very common on the (mk60) ABS/ESP pump fitted to the focus /focus st this is will log a fault code c1288 -brake pressure sensor circuit a fault code check would clarify this

The Brake pressure sensor is located inside the abs/ESP pump And cannot be changed seperatley

Ok the ABS /ESP pump can be unbolted from the module (you do NOT need to replace the full unit

The ABS /ESP. pump. Now costs £165 +vat and takes around 2 hours to fit bleed and configure the internal sensors of The pump
Ford reduced the price as there was so many problems with them

In rare cases the steering angle sensor can cause this issue due to water ingress but it's very commonly the ABS pump

If you need any further help or advice on this issue going forward please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you
If you are satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER as this helps build my online profile
Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Any postive feedback/bonus are kindly appreciated

Brian