Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 23 years
12772297
UK Ford

Ford Fiesta 06 plate wouldn't start this morning - tried to

jump start it did succeed... Show More
jump start it did succeed for a few moments. Flashing red light on dash but, after a time nothing now only the oil light comes on. Have disconnected the battery and checked the battery in the key. Dead as a do do! Any ideas?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Yes they all seem fine - most lights working earlier
JA: Are you fixing your Fiesta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only the battery disconnect
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Been sitting for Christmas and New Year Phase. Did start on a jump till car behind forced a pull over...running high on revs. After cut out on jump flashing red lights and now no click when key is put in - nothing.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: UK Ford
replied 11 days ago.

hello

I've have to say that this sounds like the battery is dead?

I'd suggest to check that the main battery connections are tight and in good condition also check the earth strap to the engine / gearbox and also to charge the battery up for several hours and then try again

if you can get the car started check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge