Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Red triangle warning came on in my focus style 2011 on

Customer Question

red triangle warning came on in my focus style 2011 on motorway today at 120Km and i slowly lost power and pulled over. after starting engine again the car ran fine. brought to garage and they told me that there was no codes for faults in the computers memory? any idea what could be wrong?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: it just seemed to slow down consistantly and then after turning off engine and restarting it all was ok again for 80 more miles
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything as have no idea what could possibly be wrong. I was sure there would be something in the OBD codes but they were all clear
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The red triangle light is to let you know that the engine computer has detected a fault.This is the engine malfunction indicator lamp.What most likely occurred is a fault occurred causing the triangle and the loss of power.Then when you switched off the engine and restarted the fault was no longer present and the light stayed off and power resumed.The computer then cleared out the code itself and this is why no codes were detected when you took it in for diagnosis.

This can be a large number of different components at fault that caused this issue here.The only way to know for sure what was acting up is if it comes on again to have the computer/scan tool plugged back into the vehicle right away to see what codes are set.

I have seen issues with the DPF (diesel particulate filter) cause this issue here needing cleaned or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete