I'm having intermittent starting issues with a 2003/04 1400

Customer Question

I'm having intermittent starting issues with a 2003/04 1400 diesel fusion. I suspect its a intermittent problem with the immobiliser - I see a red immob light flash rapidly when the ignition is turned on.
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: its a red light - car with a lock going trough it - and it flashes rapidly when the ignition is switched on. right now the car is starting and the light doesn't come on - but three times in the last last three month the car has refused to start and the same light has been blinking.
JA: What year is your Fusion?
Customer: 2003/04
JA: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the first two times it happened It resolved itself - last night I called the RAC out. He got the car started but didn't know how he'd done that
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 month ago.

Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response ,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you today

Ok I assume the engine doesn't turn over

As the Immobilsor light that flashes on the dash

I also assume when the ignition is on its flashing rapidly (faster than normal )

When you put ignition on The light should come on solid for 3 seconds then go out this is the self test passing

If it starts flashing rapidly then this means you have an Immobilsor active issue

What to do is leave the light flashing rapidly for 1 minute then watch the light as it will emit a flash code ie: 1 Flash - PAUSE - 5 flashes = flash code 15

If you can check this code and let me know I can advise you further

Kind regards ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will do - but with the problem being intermittent I can't get the code right now. I'll have to wait for the the problem to occur again.

Hi there no worries

I deal with intermittent issues every day so understand how frustrating it can be

If you can let me know the flash code I can advise you further as this is an imperative part of the diagnostic and will allow me to assist you further

You can just post back here and I will receive notification of your reply

And will respond immediately to you

This post won't close we continue on this same post

Kindest regards ***** *****