Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a 2003 ford focus cant get out of gear and it wont

Customer Question

I have a 2003 ford focus cant get out of gear and it wont start
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you checked/tested the battery and battery connections to make sure these are all o.k.?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the battery is fully charged I have cleaned the battery terminals
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Do you have brake lights when you step on the brake pedal with the key on or off?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not have brake lights or any other lights
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Is the key turning on at all to any position?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can turn key on lights on dash for door and brake are on
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

O.k.,since the key will not turn on at all this is why it wont shift out of park or start.If you know for sure the battery is o.k. and know that it is in park all the way this can be a fault with either a worn key needing replaced or the ignition cylinder itself that the key inserts into.I have seen both fail before in the past needing replaced for this issue here.

You would need to have this tested/checked to be sure of which is the cause and from there the affected component replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete