Gallagher99
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR /SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR/SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 2006 Fiesta 1.6 tdci. The trip resets to zero and

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Fiesta 1.6 tdci. The trip resets to zero and the radio clock sets to 23:00 every time the car is started. Every now and then it refuses to start. When this happens there is a slight whir when key is turned to position 2, the ignition light comes on for 4 secs then goes out, which is normal I believe. If I leave the car for an hour or so it will then start. Any help in diagnosing this will be hugely appreciated.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 6 months ago.

Hi there good afternoon to you

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to offer some technical assistance with your issue

Ok from your description of the issue I would suspect a faulty battery (voltage drop on crank) when this happens the voltage on crank drops below 10 volts and the radio/trip assume the power has been disconnected this why they keep resetting to default values

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know

If you were satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Any positive feedback is kindly appreciated

Brian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would this also explain why it will not start? This seems like an immobiliser issue - could that be correct?

Ho there yes this would tie in with a low battery voltage concern

In some cases we can also get an immobiliser issue due to the extreme low voltage which resets once natter has been charged or jump started

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Brian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sadly this appears not to be the problem. I bought a battery tester and all tests indicate that there is no problem with the battery. Shows good charge and voltage. To be on the safe side I also replaced the battery in the key to ensure there was no problem with it "talking" to the immobiliser.

Hi there good evening to you

It's still possible you have an intermitent battery issue on crank as most common place battery testers don't test the battery under load

The Immobilsor system is working fine as the light goes out after a few seconds

Also the key in the battery is nothing to do with the Immobilsor or starting system This is only for the central locking system

Another issue which can cause this is a loss of power to the cluster (this is commonly corrosion in the passengers footwell multiplug (orange /blue wire )

When you say a whirring noise is this from the engine when trying to start it or from the cluster itself

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian