Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 23 years

Sean. I have a 04 transit connect 200 tddi. Alternator is

Customer Question

Hi Sean. I have a 04 transit connect 200 tddi. Alternator is reconditioned but battery light is still on. p0622 generator field terminal circuit. p1632 smart alternator output circuit.Has a few unrelated codes also. Any ideas what might fix it? Mike
Category: UK Ford
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

I'd 1st check the state of the engine earth connections and then trace the alternator wiring back through the bulkhead to the ECU checking for damage as you go

if these basics are OK then you'll need a oscilloscope with a current clamp to measure the output from the ECU

and there's an excellent 'how to' here

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If there is no broken wires going back to the ecu where do i go from there all of these are checked already i think. Where are the earthssituated just incase i have missed 1?
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

the earth circuit is the normal type where the main battery is connected to the engine block / chassis and the alternator earths through its on body

so where the alternator is secured to the engine also has to be tight and clean

also check that the battery is of the silver calcium type, regular lead acid don't work well with smart charge systems

If you disconnect the 3 pin PCM plug from the alternator and it is charging again, this will show the alternator is being controlled by the PCM. This will check if the alternator is still functioning. The 3 pin plug will need to be reconnected immediately after the test to avoid any damage to the vehicle. This test is a temporary check only and is not a resolution to the fault. Disconnection and reconnection of the 3 pin plug should be done when the engine is switched off

if this is OK then next check for a square wave output with a scope

here's another how to on checking this