Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 23 years

Ford Mondeo Estate: , My 52 Reg TDCI LX (2litre) Mondeo

Customer Question

My 52 Reg TDCI LX (2litre) Mondeo Estate has developed an engine whine which sounds almost the same as the power steering on full lock. The engine effectively sounds like it has a higher note which alters as expected with engine revs. There does not seem to be any change in performance, maybe just a reduction in the kick from the turbo when overtaking. It started a while ago and has not got any worse.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Paul Beal
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.
Hello This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' or whining noise with the engine running. Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts. The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattenedpiece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implementsIf this is OK then I'd pop off the auxiliary belt and feel each pump/ auxiliary by hand , feeling for tight / rough spots
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you