Gallagher99
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR /SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR/SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Mondeo Ghia 2.5 V6 aut 2006 - engine light on (steady). Engine

Customer Question

Mondeo Ghia 2.5 V6 aut 2006 - engine light on (steady). Engine seems to run fine
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Engine light is on. No other symptons
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: no
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Ford Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing really. Was on my way to Brighton when I noticed the engine light was on. Stopped to take a look but couldn't find anything wrong. Car runs ok, but decided to turn back home and seek advice
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.
Hello On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection. The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious. You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method. You can also try resetting the car by removing both battery leads and clamping them together for 10 mins as this will reset everything so if the light re-appears then the fault is still there.Disconnect the battery cables and clamp them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together. This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default. This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm if there's no difference in how the car drives then its likely to be something minor like the 2nd O2 sensor or air temp sensor but this does mean the pulling sensors off probably won't help
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 7 months ago.
Hi there , good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you todayDo you still require assistance with this concernKind regards ***** *****
Brian