Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

I m ***** ***** JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more

Customer Question

Hello i m ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hi Steve. I driving ford smax. My engine malfunction light came out this morning when heavy rain..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Ford
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is the 2nd time in a week..both during heavy rain. It must be due to the rainwater..but have no idea what or where exactly to troubleshoot this..even technician spoke to are puzzled with this...
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. The first thing that needs to be done here is to have the fault codes checked/read out with a scan tool or code reader to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.I suspect an electrical sensor or solenoid or engine wiring harness plug is getting water into it causing this fault here needing the seal in the connector replaced or the electronic component itself replaced if found to be faulty.This will need to be checked further after the codes are read out.If a code points to a certain component then you would check that component for damage needing replaced as well as check the wiring to it for any issues needing repaired.If the code does not lead to a certain component then you will have to have the engine and transmission wiring harness and connectors checked for any water intrusion needing corrected here.This can be a long process but this is usually how this is done to locate and repair this fault. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete