Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 23 years
12772297

My fiesta van xrv, About two weeks ago it would not start so

Customer Question

my fiesta van xrv
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: About two weeks ago it would not start so gave her a pull and up she fired all was great till yesterday started in the morning went to work and when to start her and all she was turn over pulled her again and she started I have checked the fuel and there was non till she started the filter has 18k on it I hope its not the pump please help
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

its 1st worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

It may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.

If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi it dont have a primer on it and I was wondering how often the filter should be changed the van only has 112000k on it was fine for the last 4 months would the glow plugs be faulty or does she even use them its di not de thanks could it be a sticky realy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I only use ford parts on her and the glowlight stays on for 15 seconds please help me fix my baby
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

the filter should be replaced every 20K miles in normal use but if you have been exposed to contaminated or dirty fuel then the filter will need changing a lot earlier

I'd recommend using a current clamp on the glow plug wires as the next step

but I do think the most likely cause is a lack of fuel coming through to the main pump

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Would it be possible that it could be leaking back to the tank
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

hello

there's no return line from the pump and the lift pump on the back just draws it through the filter then into the pump

so any restriction on the filter or a leak on the line will drop the vacuum and prevent it from drawing the fuel through

it would also be worthwhile trying loosening off the filler cap as they have a 1 way valve to allow air into the tank and prevent a vacuum from being generated

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do they use the glow plugs so its a blocked fuel filter how often should the oil be changed
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

it should have a set of glow plugs according to my records

and the oil and filter service is every 15,000km (9000 miles)

although if its looking very black I'd replace it regardless