Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I'm ***** *****. I've got a CMax Zetec 1.6 2005 plate first

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Mike, I'm ***** *****. I've got a CMax Zetec 1.6 2005 plate first reg in April 2005. The front wipers stopped working. Friend son whose a mechanic checked it over fuse etc. Advised its the motor that's gone faulty. Relay ok as rear wiper ok. I've replaced the motor and linkage this morning but its still not working. Could this be as you've advised a previous person a fuse box fault. Ive read between 2003 and 5 a number of vehicles were recalled due to moisture shorting the motor?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: all above wipers not working
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to UK Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: im home all day
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect the wiper motor connection and connector for any rust or corrosion.If there is rust or corrosion in the wiper motor connector then the connector will need cleaned or repaired to correct this issue here.I have seen corroded terminals in the connector cause a fault like this here and the terminals in some cases had to be replaced.

If this is o.k. the other fault I have seen is a faulty wiper control switch.The switch contacts can fail internally and will cause this type of fault as well here needing replaced.

One way to check and see if your vehicle has a recall for this fault or any other fault like this here is to speak with a dealer with your vehicles identification number and they can check the recall status for your specific vehicle to see if any apply.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi PeteThanks for the reply. It was ok upto last week. Then the wipers stopped in mid wipe. I checked the internet and it advised that 68000 vehicles produced between 2003 to 2005 were recalled. This is what i read.
Water may enter the wiper motor via the wiper arm spindle. If the water contains salt, it is possible that, an electrical short circuit can cause the wiper to fail. In extreme cases, the short circuit can result in the wiper assembly overheating. The increased temperature can be high enough to melt the trim components in the area of the motor assembly. Vehicles built from 04/02/2003 to 03/03/2005 are at risk.
A friends son whose a mechanic, checked the fuses and he listed to the motor. He said the relay was ok as the rear wiper was working, so thought it must be the wiper motor. I've replaced this this morning with the linkage. Still no joy.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When you say check the connector is that the electrical connector which fits on the motor?
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Yes,if you can check the electrical wiring and connection leading to and at the motor board if an issue is found with the connection it will need replaced.If this is found to be o.k. I suspect the wiper switch itself will need replaced as this can be a common component that will fail and cause this issue here.

Thanks Pete