Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 23 years
12772297

We csnt find the bonnet release lever can you help

Customer Question

Hello we csnt find the bonnet release lever can you help
Category: UK Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We also cant turn our van on it makes a clicking sound but doesnt connect to the engine the radio comes on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'm assuming this is a Transit and so the bonnet catch is under the Ford badge on the bonnet

insert the key into the hole and turn the key clockwise. this will release the bonnet catch. now turn the key anti-clockwise and lift up the bonnet

as for the clicking noise this is very likely to be a flat battery

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the van needs a new starter motor