Trev
Trev, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  NVQ 3, Modern Apprenticeship, MOT Tester, 15+ years experience diagnostic technician
15853224

I've a Focus 2008 1.6 tdci. I've got a gh pitched squeeling

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. I've a Focus 2008 1.6 tdci. I've got a high pitched squeeling coming from my nearside front wheel. Jacked up in neutral the wheel squeels when you turn it just very slowly. The clutch was done very recently and the noise appears to be coming from the driveshaft. Would I be right in thinking this is probably the bearing at the transmition end?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to UK Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes no problem
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hi I'm Kevin is the squealing coming from the hub area where wheel bolts too or the actual gearbox area ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Gearbox. at first I thought it was brake noise as the discs and pads were both very worn. I've replaced pads and discs and the noise remains. on further investigation I feel comfortably sure its NOT at the hub end
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Ok is there any other noises whilst driving any rumbling ? How many miles since clutch ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The squealing continues while driving but there is no rumbling. its only about 150-200 miles since clutch replaced. The squealing is loudest in reverse at very low speed. it will disappear momentarily, or at least lesson, as I steer from lock to lock
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Ok and if you jack car up can you feel any movement on the wheel if you pull up and down and side to side ?