Greg
Greg, Shop owner
Experience:  27 years experience on imports 17 years shop owner.
29331485

My son has a 2012 XR6 sedan, non turbo. Bought private sale

Customer Question

My son has a 2012 XR6 sedan, non turbo. Bought private sale 4 months ago. Under new car warranty until 23rd Jan. Serviced by Ford. Last service Jan2015, 44000kms. Currently has 52200kms on the clock. Was driving along, hit a bump, heard a bang, went to change from 4th to 3rd and couldn't get it into 3rd. He pulled over and rang me. I went to him to see what was wrong. When the car was turned off you could get every gear. Started engine in neutral, depressed clutch and physically could not put the stick into any gear. No noise, grinding or anything, just wouldn't go. The clutch felt soft with little resistance buy would depress and retract. After e few phone call we got it towed to the nearest dealer. The next day the dealer rang him and said it was from a worn clutch which caused other problems, as well as "it's had a hard life". Hence the 'worn' clutch they will not warrant it and have quoted him $3300.00. He is 19 years old. I am by no means mechanically minded but am a tradie and can sense a rip off. Any advice would be extremely appreciated.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi .

Before i finished reading your question i know it was a bad clutch and looks like the driver has been driving with his foot resting on the clutch pedal or slips the clutch when driving ,

Many possibility's for the clutch to wear down . 52.000 mile but also possible the Lad bought the car from a first owner that was the bad driver, and the 19 year old manage to get 8000 miles before failing completely.

Like said many idea of why the clutch is now bad .

With warranty on parts that wear are not covered ,brake pads, clutch ,tyres etc

What i would suggest is get a second opinion from another repair shop for a clutch job, as $3.300 is a expensive repair just for a clutch ..

Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service.
This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.