Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have 2003 transit, it's been making a strange noise whilst

Customer Question

Hi I have 2003 transit, it's been making a strange noise whilst starting for a while.
This morning it wouldn't turn over I charged battery but still nothing,I held ignition on and smoke started to come from front underside of engine!
Any help would be amazing..
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.

It sounds like your starter motor has failed. I suspect it has been on its way out for a while if it had been sounding different, They can suffer from clutch dust buildup in the motors which can cause them to seize. Starters draw a large amount of current, holding it on when it cannot turn will very quickly cause it to heat and will produce smoke. The starter will almost certainly need replacing or rebuilding. I recommend the wiring is also checked between the starter, and battery/alternator and the ground wire to check for signs of melting or burning as these wires would have also got hot if the motor was smoking.

After market starter motors are around £100 and should take approx 1 hour to replace.

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.