Bob
Bob, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  ATA Tech, Ford Tech,6 Years with Ford, 4 years with MG Rover
19517166

Had my Ford Transit broken into and now can,t lock doors

Customer Question

had my Ford Transit broken into and now can,t lock doors with key
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin so does key not work manually or on remote ? Do doors lock by pressing lever inside van?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fob has not worked for some time now, just been using the key. Doors do not lock when inside lever is pressed. Key will go into lock on drivers door but will not do anything !
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

ok it certainly sounds like you need new barrel on drivers door,did locks work when pressing lever inside before break in

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don,t know if the lever worked before, never had a reason to try it. I think they got in from the side door, so the barrel on drivers door should still be OK. What could they have done to get in and make the key not work ?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

So just to be clear you can't open drivers door at all or the other doors don't open from drivers door

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the doors will open, but I can't lock them
Expert:  Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi, hopefully i can be of assistance.

This sounds like you have 2 faults here.

First is that the fuse will of blown for the central locking system. This is located under the steering column. replace this and carry out a basic test by pressing the interior door handle inwards on the drivers door. Its likely the fuse has blown due to damage caused by the break in.

If the key is turning in the barrel yet the door isnt locking then this means that the barrel is disconnected from the lever arm which turns the lock/latch. This again, could of happened during the break in.

The way these Ford Barrels are designed means the burglars essentially just ram a large screw driver into the barrel to turn the lock. This damages the internals of the barrel, making you key useless.

Or the barrel was turned so aggressively during the break in that the rod connecting the barrel to the lock has snapped or become disconnected.

What you need to do now is have the door card removed and the door lock/latch assembly inspected to see what the damage is and repair as necassary.

Thanks Bob