Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My 1.6 petrol ford s max year reg 2012 I bought 2 weeks ago

Customer Question

My 1.6 petrol ford s max year reg 2012 I bought 2 weeks ago has very low mpg. Averaging 21 mpg. What could be causing this . After I stop driving i can hear radiotor running for a minute then it stops
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

There are several components that can cause low fuel mileage.

Low air in the tires

Restricted engine air filter needing replaced.

Dirty or faulty mass air flow sensor (if equipped on this model) needing cleaned or replaced

One or more fuel injectors allowing to much fuel into the engine (this is most common)

Brakes dragging while driving

All of these will need to be checked into and tested.Some may require some special test equipment to fully test to see if one is at fault such as the fuel injectors.If it is the radiator fan that is running on some models this is normal to help cool off the engine and coolant after the vehicle is turned off for a minute or two.

If you have a check engine light on with any of these issues here the first thing that needs done is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set then from there the codes can be diagnosed and repaired and will help locate the fault here.If no check engine light is on then the above will need checked into/tested further to locate and repair the fuel mileage issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.