Gallagher99
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR /SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR/SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

The esp light comes on and engine malfunction sign comes on.

Customer Question

The esp light comes on and engine malfunction sign comes on. Speed drops to 20mph, sometimes on a motorway, other times pulling away from my home. Please help as I'm afraid for my safety.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ,good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response

Ok your light in combination with a engine systems fault is most commonly down to faults that are picked up by the PCM that would alter the value of torque compensation (torque demand/power )

Then the ESP light would be brought on as the ESP system needs specific torque data from the PCM to ensure the ESP system works correctly

There shouldn't be any codes logged in the ABS /ESP module if this occurs

But as they aren't being very clear regarding the codes it is difficult to say

This is most commonly down to an engine management fault ie: /intake (split intercooler Hose

This Can impact the torque demand of this engine management system

The PCM will picks up a torque /demand fault and trigger the ESP module to bring the warning light on

This is a safety strategy of the vehicle and not one most techniams would know of off hand and said there is a ESP fault

The first thing that should be done before going any further is a proper diagnostic fault code check to ensure this is an engine management fault ie:most common code is p0299 turbo under boost

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know

If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening

Brian