Gallagher99
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR /SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR/SPECIALIST TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford Focus 1.6 C-Max LX TDCi regt. 2004 84,000 miles

Customer Question

Recently started reverting to Limp mode before engine has reached normal operating temperature and always when nearing or exceeding, 3000 rpm through the gears. Condition is relieved by momentarily disconnecting MAF sensor socket and replacing it or by disconnecting/replacing the air flow hose from the rocker case. The effect of either of these will reset the engine to normal operation (baffling). Diagnostic Error Codes are P138B and P0483
No visible evidence of exhaust smoke detected while driving. No dash lights showing.
Replaced MAF sensor and air filter. No joy.
What else should I examine, test and replace?
Peter
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there peter ,good afternoon to you
Ok are these the ONLY codes that keep returning
Is there any boost codes etc being logged
regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,
Sorry about the delay getting back to you. Had a few issues with the site.Ref; your questions.
No. The first diagnostics check showed 4 Error Codes (EC) in addition to the ones I sent you, namely,
P0113 and P0110
I erased all four and then disconnected/reconnected the breather hose to reset the ECU to 'normal' - I know it sounds weird, but every time the engine decides to enter Limp mode, that is what I do to return it to normal.
My chum owns a garage. Neither of us can explain this phenomenon so if it's less offensive, I shall refer to uncoupling/ re-coupling the MAFsensor plug, as at least that's more reasonable and offers rational options!Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,
P0113 and P0110
My chum owns a garage. Neither of us can explain this phenomenon so if it's less offensive, I shall refer to uncoupling/ re-coupling the MAF sensor plug, as at least that's more reasonable and offers rational options!Peter
Hi peter thanks
Ok from description of the fault and remedy and fault codes you have given
I suspect the concern is that there is possible black smoke from the exhaust and/or that the vehicle is showing a poor performance and the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminated/limp home mode ,
the probable cause is oil contamination of the mass air flow sensor (MAF). Oil contamination of the MAF sensor is indicated by stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P1101, P1103 or P2279 in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
The oil contamination of the MAF sensor leads to incorrect mass air flow reading and induces drivability issue/black smoke/lack of power brought on
the oil can be pushed back onto the MAF sensor.
a Revised PCM calibration prevents turbo surge which causes backflow pulsations in the clean side of the air cleaner outlet hose and reduces EGR opening after gearchange which limits airflow spike to minimum. Also, the diagnostic thresholds for the MAF sensor have been modified to reduce the effect of the oil contamination.
You vehicles meets all the criteria for this repair and ford released a bulletin in 2006 for this symptom
To resolve the issue for a modified air intake hose /clean MAF sensor and update PCM to the latest level
The modified hide is ford part number -(###) ###-####
The 1.6tdci is also very probe for underboost codes relating to loss of vacuum to the turbo this can be caused by chaffed. Vacuum hoses between the turbo and the vacuum solenoid at back of the head but this leaves underboost codes which you don't show so I would suspect possible issues with MAF contamination
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue peter please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Peter also note that faulty glow plugs can take these 1.6dv6 s into limp home mode as you had a previous glow plug module voltage code
If one or more are faulty the back fed resistance is too high and limp home mode is brought on
But if you are only getting the MAF codes I would suspect the contamination I spoke of
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,Thanks for your suggestions in response to my reply.
It might be relevant to cite here the vehicle's regt. number: ML54VVYI'm going to deal here only with points arising from your suggestions relating to the MAF sensor side of things (your subsequent thoughts will be dealt with once the oil contamination has been thoroughly understood)1. There is no evidence of black smoke from the exhaust when the vehicle is either stationary or travelling.2. A new MAF sensor was fitted as stated, but since the fault condition persisted, it was removed and the original was re-fitted having been sprayed with a proprietary carburetor cleaner.3. The is no evidence of any rocker cover oil mist contamination at, or near, the MAF sensor union of the air hose. There is, however, oil contamination at the turbo end of the hose.4. The are no MIL lamps illuminated during engine running either before or after limp mode.5. However, your findings on "back-flow pulsations" make sense: i.e. you said, "Revised PCM calibration prevents turbo surge which causes back-flow pulsations in the clean side of the air cleaner outlet hose and reduces EGR opening after gear-change which limits airflow spike to minimum. Also, the diagnostic thresholds for the MAF sensor have been modified to reduce the effect of the oil contamination".
The Ford part modification(###) ###-####appears to be exactly the same as original equipment (OE) fitted to my Focus 1.6 dti. I rang a supplier who confirmed this. I assumed the hose had been modified with a non-return membrane to prevent oil contamination on the clean side of the air filter outlet hose. But apparently not. So I don't understand how fitting an identical new hose will fix the problem. Or have I missed something?6. Would you kindly explain what you meant by, "To resolve the issue for a modified air intake hose /clean MAF sensor and update PCM to the latest level": we don't understand it. Where are these "Revised PCM" to be acquired? Is there some re-programming required for the PCM or ECU(applied to the car's ECU perhaps? Is that what you meant. If so how?I'm sure you will understand that we need clarification that enables us to proceed with an appropriate repair based on your advice which I'm sure will be forthcoming from you.Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there peter good evening to you and sorry for the delay have been out this evening
Ok can we confirm that after all fault codes are cleared and the fault returns there is only the 2 MAF codes you listed
Regards Brian