Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

I have a 08 plate mk4 mondeo 2ltr tdci the climate control

Customer Question

I have a 08 plate mk4 mondeo 2ltr tdci the climate control is hot on the divers side & cold on the passenger side The self test says all O.K. I have located a temperature sensor on the passenger side near the pollen filter in the passenger footwell but cant find one on the drivers side. The infomation I have shows sensors under the removable panels next to the sony radio/CD but there are no sensors there. I removed the bottom panel in the drivers side footwell but cant find anything there either
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome!
I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry.
Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

Here are the cabin temperature sensors (removing the radio should grant you access to those):
graphic

graphic

Did you try removing the radio?

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that

No I haven't removed the radio but I will do that probably wednesday as the cars in use until then.

I will get back to you

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome!

Take your time, and get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi I managed to get the car yesterday and removed the radio and located the four sensors. I measured the resistance of them and they were all around the same so I swapped the lefthand pair with the righthand pair but it has not made any difference. The leftmost vent blows cold the lefthand of the center pair slightly warmer but the drivers side both blow the outside air temperature ( I have a digital thermometer) Running the self test does not show any faults.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Would you be able to swap the air mix flap motors from right to left, as these control the mix (hot and cold)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

according to my haines manual that would involve removing the facia which looks too big a job. Unless there is a easier way you know of.
Doesn't the self test, test those ? there is a lot of whirring when I run it!

Could it be the controller?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

The self test does cover all the items, but it cannot detect all the faults. It could be the controller, and could be the controller needing programming. However, we need to exhaust all checks before getting to the controller or control module.
You can check or call: http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=Ford-Mondeo-2009-Climate-Control-Module-7S7T18C612AL
to see if your control module is amongst the commonly faulty ones.

graphic

You can try removing the trim under the dashboard, towards the center console, on both sides, and see if you can access, partially, at least to replace the motors.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried pulling the panel under the dashboard on the drivers side but it appeares to be part of the dashboard moulding there is a groove on the panel where it joins the dashboard down the side of the central unit but I cant get anything to go through the groove. the similar panel on the passenger side continues across under the glove box and up to the dashboard in one continuos moulding

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Bill,

Since we are not able to access the motors easily, the next step would be checking the module (swapping if possible), or give a call to the company that refurbishes those, to check whether yours is one of the commonly faulty ones, and proceed accordingly.

Get back to me with your findings, so we proceed accordingly.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

looks like I'll have to give in and take it into a Ford dealer

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Bill,

That would be an option as well.
Having gone there, kindly get back to me with the feedback, hopefully i can still assist until the problem is sorted.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Obviously I was hoping to save some money in contacting you so it may be a week or two before do that. I just hope the weather doesn't get any hotter in the meantime

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Having checked everything, will pay off eventually.

Take your time Bill. Best of luck for now!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry what was the question that you want an answer to. I thought I had replied to all you questions

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Bill,

My apologies for the inconvenience...
It's not a question, i'm just waiting for your findings, or if further assistance is needed. Till the problem is sorted (or if you need other info, on other systems or problems while we're at it.).

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have booked the car into a local ford specialist for next wednesday.

I went to a breakers this morning to see how to get at the motors but although it was a mk4 mondeo it was totally different so at that point I decided to give up and take it in

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Bill,

Some Mk4 mondeos have the regular A/C system and not the automatic A/C such as the one you have, hence the differences.

Till wednesday it is... Best of luck for now.

Regards,
Billy
PS: you don't need to reply to this, until you have some new findungs, or if you have another problem that requires assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

unfortunately that doesn't help me. Are there any of your colleagues you can ask how to get at the motors other than by taking out the whole dashboard
which looks like a major job. According to the haines manual you have to take out the clutch pedal, steering wheel and doors off which seems over the top just to get at the motors.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Bill,

In your case, i do think the most likely fault being the module, i was trying to eliminate other possibilities with you first.

If you wish, however, i can opt out, and other experts should take a look at this.

Regards,
Billy