Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 23 years
12772297

Ford Foxus: , my 2009 Ford Focus has a whirring sound and

Customer Question

Hi, my 2009 Ford Focus has a whirring sound and vibrates through the steering wheel when the wheel is in the neutral position and when it is turned to the right, there is no sound at all when it is turned to the left, can you advise what this might be? The noise gets louder with higher speeds
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
this sounds like the proportioning valve inside the steering rack may be partially blocked up - this valve only opens up as you turn the steering wheel so this is why it only has an effect when the wheel is turned in 1 direction
I'd suggest draining off all the fluid by removing the hoses at the steering rack and move the steering from left to right to purge all the fluid out of the rack
then refit the hoses and refill with fresh fluid
this may need to be done a couple of times
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the noise still exists to some extent in the neutral steering wheel position, is is only when the wheel is turned significantly left that the noise disappears altogether, do you still think your diagnosis is accurate based on this information?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I'd still give it a go as i think it stands a good chance to help
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?