Kevin
Kevin, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

Ford Mondeo: , thanks of help. I have a 2003 diesel

Customer Question

Hi, thanks for offer of help. I have a 2003 diesel mondeo, completely cuts out if you go over approx 50mph or try to accelerate quickly (usually fine around town), and has just failed MOT on emissions! Have had it checked on computer but it only reads a fuel problem, nothing specific ;(
Had a new fuel pump and injectors approx 2 yrs ago too. Not sure whether to scrap it or fix it as it's got 128,000 on the clock. Other than emissions it would have passed MOT, is perfect in every other way :(
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi I. Kevin do you know what code was from computer I would replace fuel filter before going any further these suffer from blockages if not changed regularly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry each garage said the codes were just a fuel problem code therefore they couldn't tell me what was wrong with it or how to fix it :(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick response though, it's greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the garages have no real idea as to the fault the first thing to do with any fuel problem is to replace fuel filter it will cause your systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Kevin. I've only had the car a year (came with a new MOT) and it has always cut out at around 50mph. The garages never offered help to fix it just said it wasnt reading any specific code other than a fuel issue - the first computer didn't read anything, said it had no faults! I know these diesel Mondeo's are fuel problematic. How much should I expect to pay for a new fuel filter?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Filter is about £15 plus about 15 mins labour dependent on hourly labour rate in your area average is £60 per hour at independent garage in uk .always with fuel problems replace filter first it's the cheapest option and more often than not overlooked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for your help. If it's not the filter I think I'll sell for spares as have no real idea who I can trust to give me a straight forward & honest diagnosis. If I actually knew what exactly was wrong with it, it would give me a better idea on what to do with it :-)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
I think if it doesn't cure fault it may be worth taking car to a proper garage who are capable of diagnosing as it sounds as though the garages you have been to don't really know . Please rate my service and let me know how you get on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
No worries
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
How did you get on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking, my daughter has chicken pox so I only managed to get it to the garage today! They're going to look at it on Monday, i'll let you know as soon as I know what is what :-)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
No worries just like to follow up let me know when you find out and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do, thanks again
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
No problem