Kevin
Kevin, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

Ford Focus 1.4 petrol: Ford Focus 2009 ... difficulty selecting

Customer Question

Ford Focus 2009 ... difficulty selecting 3rd gear ... goes into 3rd but very clunky and takes a couple of attempts. All the other gears are perfect. Any thoughts,
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Kevin does car go into 3 gear smoothly when not car not running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, exactly the same feel as all the other gears, including reverse.
When the car is driving it moves from 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, 5-4, 4-3 (this surprised me) 3-2, 2-1 smoothly (doesn't even feel like you have to direct the gear stick).
2-3 seems to be the only movement which has problems.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
It sound as though you have a syncro going on third gear. This basically is the actual gear cog itself the cog and another attached to it and they synchronize the speed of the engine to the gear you are selecting so you get a smooth change . When these start to fail the gear isn't at the correct speed it needs to be at so is difficult to engage. This will require a gearbox overhaul to rectify . This is my opinion based on your description the only way I could be 100% sure would be to drive car which obviously isn't possible I hope this helps you